Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Colorado Teen Adventure will be held in Boulder, Colorado from May 19-21, 2006.
- "Quilt for Life" Display Set For Washington D.C. Mall; Children's colorful and emotional quilts show the true face of diabetes.
- Make plans now to join us for Friends for Life: Orlando 2006, the annual CWD summer conference. Special guests include Chris Dudley, former NBA star, and Jay Leeuwenburg, former NFL star, both of whom grew up with type 1 diabetes and excelled in professional sports.
- The Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation is once again offering scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life 2006 conference in Orlando. The application deadline is March 31, 2006, so apply soon.
- Teens with diabetes who play tennis are encouraged to apply for the Donnelly Award scholarships. Applications must be received by May 1, 2006.
- Applications for the 2006 Lilly for Life Achievement Awards are being accepted now through August 1, 2006.
- 25 families joined the Family Support Network last week, bringing the total to over 2,150 families from all 50 states and 55 countries. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter for your child, want to babysit others, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network can help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network.
New This Week
- Families are encouraged to participate in Type 1 Diabetes TrailNet.
- The room block for this summer's Friends for Life: Orlando 2006 conference is half full. If you're planning to attend the conference, now is the time to call the Renaissance Orlando Resort directly at 407-351-5555 to reserve your room. Be sure to say you are with the Children with Diabetes conference.
- Initial Focus Group details are online for our summer Friends for Life conference. Focus groups fill up quickly, so sign up soon.
- Registration is now available for CWD Soccer Camp for Teens at Santa Clara University, California, to be held from July 29 - August 1, 2006.
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
When my son wakes during the night and is low, he later says he was seeing scary things. Is this type of reaction normal?
See the answer.
- The Quilt for Life now has 444 panels. We need many more in preparation for a showing at the Mall in Washington, D.C. on June 8, 2006 near the Capitol. Please consider making a panel.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes that have updated information for the 2006 camping season include:
- The 2006 Camp Ho Mita Koda Bicycle Adventure will take place from June 17- 24, 2006. This is a great adventure for teens with type 1 diabetes.
- Insulin for Life, Australia makes a difference for people with diabetes throughout the world.
- Diabetes for Professionals, by Novo Nordisk, offers news and information for health care professionals.
- Google Video has a collection of diabetes videos.
- MedicTag offers a USB key fob for storing your emergency medical information, and it fits easily on your key ring.
- Kidney disease rare with early type 1 diabetes onset summarizes Age at Onset of Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes and the Development of End-Stage Renal Disease.
- Immune complexes containing modified lipoproteins are related to the progression of internal carotid intima-media thickness in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Growing new endocrine pancreas in situ.
- Anti-CD38 autoantibodies in type? diabetes.
- Gene therapy for diabetes: reinventing the islet.
- Diabetic control after total pancreatectomy.
- Introduction of sucrose in the diet plan of persons with type 1 diabetes: its influence in the glycemic control. Free Portuguese-language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pubertal growth and final height in 40 patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free Portuguese-language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Blood Glucose Awareness Training: What Is It, Where Is It, and Where Is It Going?
- Skin lesions in diabetic patients. Free Portuguese-language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Serum levels of activin A and inhibin A are not related to the increased susceptibility to pre-eclampsia in type I diabetic pregnancies.
- Diabetes, Psychiatric Disorders, and the Metabolic Effects of Antipsychotic Medications. Also available in PDF format.
- Lipid Management in Type 2 Diabetes. Also available in PDF format.
- Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies and their role in the investigation of coeliac disease.
- Health group pulls obesity ads over diabetes dustup. See also Childhood obesity ads revised after uproar by diabetic kids' parents; Panel's spots didn't distinguish between types of the disease and No more 'buy me some diabetes' ads.
- Schneider: Former school secretary says parents need to do more.
- Star Takes Jump Shots and Insulin Shots; Gonzaga's Adam Morrison Battles Diabetes as Well as Opposing Teams.
- Facing life's challenges: 10-year-old Caitlyn Schubert wrestle, cheers with diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes isn't same as type 2 diabetes.
- Lee man's goal to cure diabetes.
- Dealing with diabetes.
- Memorial High School student selected for statewide medical program.
- Treatment equals treats for pooch with diabetes.
- Local diabetes research proves enlightening.
- Beauregard softball star forced to balance sports, survival.
- Diabetes breakthrough may end insulin injections.
- Preventing type 1 diabetes. See also New Onset Study for details, and Type 1 Diabetes TrailNet for more information.
- Israeli researchers close in on vaccine for autoimmune diseases.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My elder daughter had our baby books out today, and was looking at the page showing the information collected when they were born. "Hey Mum," she shouted, "Rachel was 2860 gms (6lb 5oz), how many carbs was she?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your dog's favorite toy is an empty test strip bottle. See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers about the number of basal rates they use in their insulin pump. This week's poll asks readers if they or their children have been tested for celiac.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes: An Emotional Journey by Renea Jo Zosel.
- The History of CWD is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:14
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.