Of Continuing Interest
- The hotel room block for CWD's Focus on Pumping: La Jolla 2007 at the San Diego Marriott La Jolla from April 13-15, 2007 is 90% full. If you're planning on joining us, please reserve your room soon. The last two Focus on Pumping conferences sold out.
- Make plans to come to the Friends for Life: Orlando 2007 annual conference at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 11 - 15, 2007. The Parent and Adult Program and Youth Program are now online.
- Chris Dudley brings his Basketball Clinic to the 2007 Friends for Life Conference. Registration for the basketball clinic is limited to 60 participants, and you must be registered for the Friends for Life conference before you can register for the basketball clinic.
- Preliminary information about our Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2008 conference is now online, including registration forms.
New This Week
- CWD announces its first Canadian conference -- Focus on Pumping: Toronto 2007 from August 17-19, 2007 at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Special guests include country music star George Canyon, Sebastien Sasseville, the first Canadian with diabetes to successfully climb Peak Lenin, and Jen Alexander, an extraordinay swimmer.
- Kevin Covais -- from American Idol -- will perform for CWD kids and families at the Friends for Life Family and Friends Banquet.
- The Family Support Network has over 2,980 families from all 50 states and 69 countries. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter for your child, want to babysit others, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network can help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network. Now's also a great time to search for someone near you and introduce yourself.
- Diagnosis Day is a poem by 12-year-old Connor.
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Do children with type 1 diabetes need to wear socks made of a particular type of fabric?
See the answer.
- We added two panels to the Quilt for Life, bringing the total number of panels to 556. The Quilt for Life will next be displayed at CWD's 2007 Friends for Life Conference from July 11-15, 2007 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Please contribute your square.
- Camps for kids with diabetes offer a great learning experience. These camps have updated schedules:
- Camp Hot Shots Central is a day camps for kids in Hastings, Nebraska.
- Diabetes Camp Is More Than Cool.
- Families are invitied to participate in an online Continuous Glucose Sensor Survey being run by a team from the University of Virginia.
- Historic Birthplace of Sir Frederick Banting May Be Lost. See also Banting House given $100,000 by insulin firm.
- Summer Camp Counselor with Diabetes and/or Insulin Pump Experience Needed.
- Moving Forward... With Diabetes: Insights from parents of children with diabetes is an excellent new DVD from Arnold Creek Productions.
- Increasing Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes in 0- to 17-Year-Old Colorado Youth. See also CU documents diabetes rise in kids.
- GAD Autoantibody Affinity and Epitope Specificity Identify Distinct Immunization Profiles in Children at Risk for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Simultaneous Control of Hyperglycemia and Oxidative Stress Normalizes Endothelial Function in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Glycemic and Risk Factor Control in Type 1 Diabetes - Results from 13,612 patients in a national diabetes register.
- NOS3 Polymorphisms Are Associated With Arterial Stiffness in Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Patients With Chronic Pancreatitis Have Islet Progenitor Cells in Their Ducts, but Reversal of Overt Diabetes in NOD Mice by Anti-CD3 Shows No Evidence for Islet Regeneration.
- CCL4 Protects From Type 1 Diabetes by Altering Islet ▀-CellľTargeted Inflammatory Responses.
- Limited Capacity of Human Adult Islets Expanded In Vitro to Redifferentiate Into Insulin-Producing ▀-Cells.
- Insulin Resistance, the Metabolic Syndrome, and Complication Risk in Type 1 Diabetes - "Double diabetes" in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial.
- Association of Television Viewing With Fasting and 2-h Postchallenge Plasma Glucose Levels in Adults Without Diagnosed Diabetes.
- Association Between Serum Concentrations of Persistent Organic Pollutants and Insulin Resistance Among Nondiabetic Adults.
- An Accurate Risk Score Based on Anthropometric, Dietary, and Lifestyle Factors to Predict the Development of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Defective Awakening Response to Nocturnal Hypoglycemia in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Awakening from Sleep and Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The relationship between ACE genotype and risk of severe hypoglycaemia in a large population-based cohort of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Classification of Distinct Baseline Insulin Infusion Patterns in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes on Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Therapy.
- Perceptions of Psychosocial Factors and the Insulin Pump.
- Decision-Making Competence and Adherence to Treatment in Adolescents with Diabetes.
- School performance in children with type 1 diabetes-a population-based register study.
- Brief Report: The Risk of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Mothers of Children Diagnosed with Pediatric Cancer and Type I Diabetes.
- Pramlintide in the management of insulin-using patients with type 2 and type 1 diabetes.
- Two-Year Safety and Efficacy of Inhaled Human Insulin (Exubera) in Adult Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Randomized Trial of Behavioral Family Systems Therapy for Diabetes - Maintenance of effects on diabetes outcomes in adolescents.
- The Impact of Glycemic Control on Neonatal Outcome in Singleton Pregnancies Complicated by Gestational Diabetes.
- Does Dairy Calcium Intake Enhance Weight Loss Among Overweight Diabetic Patients?
- Coeliac disease and the risk of fractures - a general population-based cohort study.
- Is exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in adult coeliac disease a cause of persisting symptoms?
- Mucosal reactivity to cow's milk protein in coeliac disease.
- The Canadian Celiac Health Survey.
- Food questionnaire for assessment of infant gluten consumption.
- Coeliac disease and risk of schizophrenia and other psychosis: A general population cohort study.
- Long-Term Mortality in People With Celiac Disease Diagnosed in Childhood Compared With Adulthood: A Population-Based Cohort Study.
- Ousted school aide back at old job.
- Mother determined to stop diabetes.
- Taking diabetes to D.C.: Nine-year-old goes to Capitol to tell his tale.
- All-Star kid has the ticket.
- Woman overcoming diabetes.
- Spending a fortune on diabetes management.
- Snooker star on cue to help poorly children in Sheffield.
- One Soldier's Diabetes Battle in Iraq; Incredible story of one soldier's dedication and determination on dLifeTV.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
You know you are home from a CWD conference when you reach into your pocket and find SOMEONE ELSE'S used test strip!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child never gets the broken crackers from the box -- it's too hard to count carbs on those broken pieces! See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they use alternate site testing. This week's poll asks readers in what month they or their child were diagnosed.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Control of Your Diabetes, Second Edition by Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- Our Report from the Diabetes Technology Meeting 2006 is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:17
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.