Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Pumping: Seattle 2008 Regional Conference, to be held from February 29 - March 2, 2008 at the Renaissance Seattle in Seattle, Washington.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Friends for Life Annual Conference 2008, to be held at the Renaissance Orlando Resort at Sea World in Orlando, Florida, from July 23-27, 2008.
- The Children with Diabetes Quilt for Life will be displayed on the National Mall in Washington, DC from August 4-5, 2008.
- The Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation is offering scholarships for families and young adults to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2008 conference.
- Maple Grove Farms is offering a Family Scholarship to CWD's Friends for Life 2008 conference. Applications are due by January 15, 2008.
- With the holiday season approaching, we encourage CWD readers help make a difference through the Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation, the CWD Foundation, and the IDF's Life for a Child program.
- CWD's "Insulin Is Not a Cure" T-Shirts make great holiday gifts. They're now available in white text on black or black text on white.
New This Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My brother was just diagnosed with type 1. He throws a fit for each test and injection. Is there any way to tell him about his condition in a way that will ease his fears?
See the answer.
- From the CWD Forums:
How much insulin monthly?
- The Quilt for Life now has 599 panels. Please consider adding your panel in time for the showing on the National Mall in August 2008.
- Toronto's Sick Kids Hospital is conducting a brief survey for brothers and sisters of children with diabetes.
- Parents and young adults with diabetes are strongly encouraged to take the DAWN Youth survey. The DAWN Youth 'WebTalk survey' is an international online survey for young people with diabetes, parents/caregivers of children with diabetes and health professionals involved in caring for people with diabetes. More young adults are particularly needed.
- Health Care Professionals are also encouraged to take the DAWN Youth survey for Professionals. Please use survey code USE33.
- The Big Book of Diabetic Desserts offers a collection of delicious reduced fat and reduced sugar dessert recipes.
- Proinsulin C-peptide -- the bioactive peptide with a huge promise.
- A Risk Score for Type 1 Diabetes Derived from Autoantibody Positive Participants in The Diabetes Prevention Trial- Type 1.
- Familiality of diabetes mellitus.
- The occurrence and analysis of chosen risk factors of DKA among children with new onset of DMT1.
- Double or hybrid diabetes associated with an increase in type 1 and type 2 diabetes in children and youths.
- Epidemiology of childhood type 2 diabetes and obesity.
- Treatment with CD20-specific antibody prevents and reverses autoimmune diabetes in mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- B cell depletion: a novel therapy for autoimmune diabetes? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Incidence and trends of childhood Type 1 diabetes in Croatia from 1995 to 2003.
- hsCRP protein in children and adolescents with diabetes type 1.
- Proteomics and diabetic nephropathy.
- Induction of immune tolerance to facilitate beta cell regeneration in type 1 diabetes.
- Reduced Immunogenicety of First Trimester Human Fetal Pancreas.
- Analysis of SNPs Identifies Major Type 1A Diabetes Locus Telomeric of the MHC.
- The relationship of A1c to glucose concentrations in children with type 1 diabetes: Assessments by high frequency glucose determinations by sensors.
- Impact of glycemic control, disease duration, and exercise on heart rate variability in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Negative binomial meta-regression analysis of combined glycosylated hemoglobin and hypoglycemia outcomes across eleven Phase III and IV studies of insulin glargine compared with neutral protamine Hagedorn insulin in type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus concludes that the rate of hypoglycemia is "... significantly lower with glargine than NPH."
- Quantifying the Impact of a Short-interval interruption of Insulin-Pump Infusion Sets on Glycemic Excursions.
- A 2-way cross-over, open-labeled trial to compare efficacy and safety of insulin Aspart and Novolin R delivered with CSII in 21 Chinese diabetic patients. Free English language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring System in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Biennial eye screening in patients with diabetes without retinopathy: 10-year experience.
- Hospital admission patterns subsequent to diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in children : a systematic review. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Effects of plant stanol esters on serum cholesterol concentrations, relative markers of cholesterol metabolism and endothelial function in type 1 diabetes.
- Interventions for being active among individuals with diabetes: a systematic review of the literature.
- Effect of gluten-free diet and co-morbidity of irritable bowel syndrome-type symptoms on health-related quality of life in adult coeliac patients.
- IgA anti-actin antibodies ELISA in coeliac disease: a multicentre study.
- Celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- NFL Legend John Madden Speaks Up for Diabetes Research.
- Exclusive Interview: Elliott Yamin, former 'American Idol'.
- Youngster not Slowed by Diabetes.
- Health campaigners say insulin pumps will save NHS money.
- 50,000 People Denied Insulin Pumps In The UK.
- Someone you know - maybe you - has diabetes.
- Diabetic girl at risk through lack of funding.
- Police point to diabetes as probable cause of death for Algoma CEO's daughter.
- Diabetes Research Institute Foundation Connects Families Of Newly Diagnosed Children With Mentors.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I recently had to take one of my 3-year-old twins to Clinic for her check-up. My non-diabetic twin asked if her sister's insulin pump was broken. When I told her "No, but her pancreas doesn't work." She replied, "We need to get her pancreas new batteries!" If it were only that easy.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your five-year-old asks, "Pretty please with Splenda on it." See more parent humor.
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they check for ketones during the course of a year. This week's poll asks readers how often they get an error message when checking blood sugar levels.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Diabetes Antidote: An Exercise Prescription to Prevent Type 2 and to Combat Type 1 by Doug Burns, Mr. Universe, with Denny Dressman.
- Our page about Symlin® (pramlintide acetate) is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:20
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.