Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Bethesda 2008 conference, to be held at the Marriott Bethesda North, Bethesda, Maryland from September 26-28, 2008.
- Make plans now to attend CWD's Focus on Best Practices: Marco Island 2009 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort in Marco Island, Florida from January 1-4, 2009.
- JDRF is now accepting applications for the 2009 Children's Congress. Applications are due by 5pm EDT on Monday, October 6, 2008.
New This Week
- Gabriel is 8 and lives in Mexico.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they or their child have been checked for thyroid disorders. This week's poll asks readers where their children perform blood glucose checks while at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Pumping Insulin, Fourth Edition by John Walsh, P.A., C.D.E., and Ruth Roberts, M.A.
- Our Report from ADA 2008 is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The other day my mom texted me this" "2 100's today". She watches my son Cole while I attend college full time. I texted back, "good, I changed his basal the other day". She texted back, "No, I was talking about his school work -- two 100% on his school work." We both laughed really hard -- this would only happen if you had a child with diabetes.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your auto ashtray is full ... of test strips! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
The school's field hockey coaches have told my daughter she will lose playing time due to the time she spends checking her blood sugars and treating lows during practices. Isn't this discrimination? What should be my next step?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Why does it ALWAYS happen right before an endo visit?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 676 panels.
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for our first Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 chat on Monday, September 8th at 9pm Eastern in the Friends for Life chat room.
- You can read the transcript of last week's Back to School chat with Crystal Jackson.
Continuing Medical Education
- Bone Metabolism Defects Common in Untreated Children With Celiac Disease. (Free Medscape membership required.)
- Blood and Honey is a film under development by Jessica Bernstein about living with diabetes. You can watch the sample reel.
- Worldwide childhood type 1 diabetes incidence – what can we learn from epidemiology?. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Temporal trends of HLA genotype frequencies of type 1 diabetes patients in Sweden from 1986 to 2005 suggest altered risk.
- Vitamin D and living in northern latitudes--an endemic risk area for vitamin D deficiency.
- The association between ketoacidosis and 25(OH)-vitamin D levels at presentation in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Age at diagnosis, gender, and metabolic control in children with type 1 diabetes.
- HIS modelling and simulation based cost-benefit analysis of a telemedical system for closed-loop diabetes therapy.
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 is associated with coronary artery calcium in Type 1 diabetes.
- Pancreas transplantation in Shiraz organ transplant center; the first Iranian experience. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Human alpha 1-antitrypsin therapy induces fatal anaphylaxis in non-obese diabetic mice.
- Association of Brominated Flame Retardants With Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome in the U.S. Population, 2003–2004.
- Real-Time Glucose Sensors in Children and Adolescents with Type-1 Diabetes.
- Insulin detemir is characterized by a more reproducible pharmacokinetic profile than insulin glargine in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: results from a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial.
- Improved treatment satisfaction but no difference in metabolic control when using continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion vs. multiple daily injections in children at onset of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Physical activity and overweight in children and adolescents using intensified insulin treatment.
- Molecular detection of exercise-induced free radicals following ascorbate prophylaxis in type 1 diabetes mellitus: a randomised controlled trial.
- Cognitive Function in Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Belonging to a diabetes patients' association is predictive of better metabolic control.
- Gastric emptying and postprandial glucose excursions in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion vs. multiple daily injections in children with type 1 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized control trials.
- Assessment of risk factors of poor metabolic control in type 1 diabetic children assisted in a public hospital in Argentina.
- Low-fat vs. high-fat bedtime snacks in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Dental Caries Increments and Related Factors in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Special needs of children with type 1 diabetes at primary school: perceptions from parents, children, and teachers.
- Multisystemic Therapy for Adolescents With Poorly Controlled Type 1 Diabetes.
- Differential diagnosis of type 1 diabetes: which genetic syndromes need to be considered? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Lipoatrophy associated with rapid-acting insulin analogues in young patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Impact of White-coat Hypertension on Microvascular Complications in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Sustained Weight Loss Following 12-Month Pramlintide Treatment as an Adjunct to Lifestyle Intervention in Obesity.
- Difference in celiac disease risk between Swedish birth cohorts suggests an opportunity for primary prevention.
- Frequencies of genetic polymorphisms of TLR4 and CD14 and of HLA-DQ genotypes in children with celiac disease, type 1 diabetes mellitus, or both.
- HLA-DQB1*02 dose effect on RIA anti-tissue transglutaminase autoantibody levels and clinicopathological expressivity of celiac disease.
- Immunoglobulin A anti-tissue transglutaminase antibody deposits in the small intestinal mucosa of children with no villous atrophy.
- Coexistance of autoimmunological diseases with type 1 diabetes mellitus in young patients based on literature and own experience.
- Homocysteine and related B-vitamin status in coeliac disease: Effects of gluten exclusion and histological recovery.
- Use of selected sourdough strains of Lactobacillus for removing gluten and enhancing the nutritional properties of gluten-free bread.
- Costs of a basic food basket for celiac patients in Chile. Free Spanish language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hyperglycemia in celiac disease: not always pretype 1 diabetes?
- Coeliac disease and risk of sarcoidosis.
- Oral manifestations of celiac disease. A case report and review of the literature.
- Maternal non-diagnosed celiac disease and risk of low birth weight.
- Comparison of Commercially Available Serologic Kits for the Detection of Celiac Disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- For type 1 diabetics, ignorance is deadly; Sudden drop in glucose or insulin can mean death.
- Kaimuki 8th-grader with type 1 copes with frustrations and risks.
- New UK guidance on insulin pumps gives school kids with diabetes freedom from injections.
- New Law Says No Needles Allowed In Trash Cans.
- Making An Impact: Team Type I wants to win races - and raise diabetes awareness.
- Diabetic swimmer meets Channel charity challenge.
- New Discovery In Diabetes Blood Sugar Device.
- Determined to fight diabetes.
- A diabetic turns to the tattoo as medical I.D.
- Managing diabetes during Ramadan.
- Vitamin D shifts into focus.
- Lab Tests Point to Problems with Trendy New Stevia Sweetener; CSPI Urges More Testing Before Stevia Extract is Used in Food, Drinks. See also Toxicology of Rebaudioside A: A Review (PDF).
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:22
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.