Food is nourishment. It's comforting. (It's also delicious.) And when you're living with diabetes, food is also a factor in blood sugar management. Here at Children with Diabetes, we believe that people with diabetes should be able to eat what fits their needs, their preferences, and their culture, while pursuing and maintaining healthy habits.
CWD Eats aims to provide food and nutrition information that's backed by science, fits the diverse needs and desires of our community, and tastes GREAT. We have dozens of carb-counted recipes, with gluten-free, low carb, and vegetarian choices available, as well as some delicious dessert options. We're hoping you'll find some ideas and inspiration in our articles and recipes!
Diabetes can add some extra emotional baggage to food, and we recognize that, too. We also have articles and interviews addressing the mental health aspect of eating and diabetes. Gather 'round our digital table, check out the spread, and enjoy CWD Eats!
Featured Articles and Recipes
Hi! I am Kristen O’Dell, Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist, and I have had type 1 diabetes for over two decades. My […]Read More
Indian Lentil Dal/Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup white onion - chopped
- 1 3/4 cup cups red dry lentils– washed 3x
- 3 cup cups chicken broth
- 1 13.5oz can coconut milk
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- cilantro - for garnish
- Melt 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in a pot
- Add chopped onions and sauté them until they become dark brown but not burnt (this will add great taste to the soup)
- Now add red washed lentils
- Pour in the chicken broth and coconut milk and continue to cook at medium to low heat. Make sure to never bring the soup to a boil now as the coconut milk will break and be ruined.
- Add pressed garlic (garlic is added after the liquids to make sure it doesn’t burn)
- Add all of the spices
- Cook for 1 hour, continuing to stir the soup so that it doesn’t attach to the bottom
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with cilantro