Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
July 21, 2020

Diagnosis and Symptoms

Question from Canada:

My 10-year-old daughter has had three major surgeries in the past two years. After the last two, she had very obvious signs of high blood sugar including losing 5 pounds (she is low normal BMI to start with), excessive hunger, excessive thirst, and excessive urination including getting up at night. Both my husband and I have first degree relatives with type 1 diabetes so we are familiar with the signs/symptoms. The first time it happened we contacted our family doctor who ran an A1c, which was normal, and a random glucose, which was also normal. Things seemed to resolve about 3 to 4 weeks after that surgery. This past surgery she has had alarmingly frequent urination, every 30 to 60 minutes, which we had tested to rule out a UTI. It was negative for sugar but positive for ketones. She has also lost weight again. I don’t want to put her through more testing as she has already had enough medical procedures to last a lifetime…but, if she does have diabetes, we want to catch it early. Could this be stress causing temporary high blood sugar? Could it be that she received steroids for one of the surgeries (but not the others)? Or, should we check her blood sugars ourselves on a home meter? I haven’t done this because I don’t want to add any stress to her life.

Answer: