Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

CWD Answers Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

January 18, 2002

Community Resources, School and Daycare

Question from Boyce, Louisiana, USA:

Are there are any government agencies that help with college tuition for college for persons with type 1 diabetes?


From: DTeam Staff

I do not know of any government agencies that help with college tuition for persons with type 1 diabetes. There are some private companies that offer scholarships.

There are some special services offered to students with diabetes such as priority registration, preferred parking and student health services. Contact Student Special Services to find out what each institution offers.


[Editor’s comment: Many colleges and universities have special scholarships available that do not get awarded each year. One should go to the office of financial assistance and see if diabetes is listed. It may also be available under medical scholarships, disability scholarships, etc., so one should be clever in looking for such help. Sometimes the office staff will be aware of how diabetes can be utilized in this fashion for financial aid. Local Lions Clubs are also another source to consider. Also see Scholarships at this web site for information and links to some answers to similar questions.