Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

December 15, 2005

Other, Type 2

Question from Wantagh, New York, USA:

My husband is obese and doing very poorly with his diabetes. We are looking for a rehabilitation facility of sorts for him, for weight loss, exercise, and diabetes treatment. We live in New York and he doesn't fly.


I’m not sure if you mean residential treatment or out-patient. Since weight loss is a long term process, I think you should consider a long term plan such as an out-patient diabetes center with a team approach to manage the diabetes and offer nutritional counseling. You can find a recognized program through the American Diabetes Association. In addition, you should consider consulting with a weight loss expert such as Dr. Louis Aronne on York Avenue in Manhattan, 212-583-1000, who has a great deal of experience with people like your husband. You should also consider whether he may be a candidate for bariatric (obesity) surgery as another option.