Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

December 15, 2001

Community Resources

Question from :

From Los Angeles, California, USA Could you help me in locating a treatment center or research clinic for end stage diabetes? My brother has just had both legs amputated, and now is having problems with his fingers. The doctors he is seeing seem confused (surprised) about what is happening to him. If you could direct me to a physician or school of medicine that might take him and see about making his quality of life better, I would appreciate it.


I appreciate that you are wanting to help your brother — this is wonderful. There are many centers in your area which specialize in diabetes, but your brother may live in another area. He certainly needs to see a specialist in diabetes, and he can find a nearby one by calling the local American Diabetes Association affiliate.

One major question — Does he want to see a diabetes team and get help? If so, he will have to invest a lot of time and effort to achieving the best care possible and best health possible. The person with diabetes is the key player on the team.


[Editor’s comment: See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor, at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional advice.