Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

August 2, 1999

Type 2

Question from Bloomington, Minnesota, USA:

I am 65 years old. I was diagnosed with diabetes Type 2 four years ago. Since that time I have lost 40 pounds, from 155 to 115. I control my carbohydrate intake. I take Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes]. My blood sugar levels continue to rise and my endocrinologist seems puzzled. My blood sugar readings now are almost always over 200. Should I be concerned?


Of course you should. You should ask for a proper diabetes consultation to see what your average metabolic control is like, as judged by HbA1c level and lipid levels, and whether you need a different kind of therapy, either additional pills or even insulin, to improve your daily blood sugar levels.