Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

December 6, 2000


Question from Williston, North Dakota, USA:

I am a 47 year old female with type 1 diabetes. In the last 18 months, I have developed Charcot Foot. I have gone through 15 casts, a regular boot, a custom boot, and now I am going to custom orthopedic shoes. My problem is the constant pain I have with the right foot. My doctor doesn't believe in any pain medication. Do I have to live the rest of my life with this pain? Can you recommend any help?


Pain is a very complex issue for patient management. When the pain is expected to be chronic, I would recommend you speak to your physician about seeing a pain management specialist. Physicians in this area are used to seeing people who have diabetes and neuropathy. Special considerations can be given to using medications which will have a beneficial effect on pain, but not result in addiction to narcotics. There is also important consideration given to the emotional aspects of chronic pain.