Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

December 30, 2000

Social Issues: School and Daycare

Question from Selkirk, New York, USA:

I am a teacher's aid in the New York State school system. I have been instructed to be a trained back-up person to administer glucagon in case of an emergency. I would like to help this child however, I am physically unable to perform this duty as I shake uncontrollably, perspire and have the feeling of passing out when I see a syringe. My administrator informed me that if I do not accept this training I will be terminated for insubordination. Can I legally be terminated?


I suggest you get a note from your doctor stipulating your disability. In that way, it will be documented, and you would have a stronger case against termination.