Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
May 7, 2001

Other

Question from :

I am wondering how to handle drinking and diabetes. What is a standard rule for how much insulin to do and what to eat and when, when drinking? I know that it raises your blood sugar then lowers it, but what is advised to do?

Answer:

There is right or wrong answers about alcohol and diabetes. This depends upon how much risk a person with diabetes is willing to take, how knowledgeable they are about their diabetes, whether or not they can recognize hypoglycemia, have hypoglycemia unawareness syndrome, have convulsions with hypoglycemia, etc. Any alcohol should not be had when going to drive (same with marijuana or any other drugs).

[Editor’s comment: This is a subject that you really should discuss with your diabetes doctor or dietitian. It’s not clear if you are a teen or adult, but that doesn’t matter — you should bring up the subject, and get the facts that match your circumstances.

WWQ]