Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

CWD Answers Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

July 26, 2002

Community Resources

Question from the USA:

I currently take my daughter to a children’s hospital, but they are not only (in my opinion) incompetent and slow, but will not consider items like the insulin pump. How do I find a set of doctors I can work with? Is there any easy way to shop for a good endocrinologist? Everyone I try I need a referral for, and the insurance will only cover so much. I need more money or a better trimmed list. Any experience with this?


From: DTeam Staff

Finding a reputable children’s endocrinologist that meets your needs can be a very difficult task. Contacting local Certified Diabetes Educators for their input may help get you pointed in the right direction in the most timely fashion. To find the names of educators located in your area, contact the American Association of Diabetes Educators at 312-424-2426. CDEs work in the diabetes field on a daily basis and should be familiar with the endocrinology practices in your metro area and will help guide you to the ones most skilled in prescribing and managing insulin pump therapy. Once you have narrowed your decision, your insurance company can provide the benefits information you are needing.


[Editor’s comment: I would also contact local chapters of the American Diabetes Association and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.


[Editor’s comment: You might find some other hints at Finding a New Diabetes Doctor, at the Diabetes Monitor.