Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
June 15, 2004

Pills for Diabetes, Type 2

Question from India:

I am a 44 year old male and I weigh 100 kg (about 220 pounds). I recently had an abnormal blood sugar following a glucose tolerance test. Three hours afterwards, my blood sugar was 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. If I eat carefully, my blood sugar is normal. Do I have diabetes? Do I need to take metformin? Can my diet include fruit?

Answer:

Given the information that you have provided, it appears that you have some glucose intolerance which is being controlled with diet. Your weight for your age would put you in the obese category, but you do not give your height. Additionally, you would need to speak with your physician regarding any medication.

Generally, additional testing should be considered, to include the determination of your C-peptide level. Weight reduction, diet and exercise are the backbone of any diabetes treatment plan. I would seek advice in this regard.

ABS