Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

CWD Answers Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

August 16, 2006


Question from Pinellas Park, Florida, USA:

I currently have private insurance coverage through an employer, however, I am currently looking at starting my own company. My wife has received nothing but rejection from the major insurance companies because of the medical history of my daughter. Is there someone out there who will issue individual policies? Do you have any suggestions?


From: DTeam Staff

If you cannot find replacement health insurance coverage, why not continue your current coverage by invoking your right of participation in COBRA. COBRA coverage allows individuals enrolled in employer sponsored group plans to continue their coverage for up to 18 months. However, the enrollee is responsible for the entire premium (the employer’s premium plus any contribution for coverage paid by the employee), plus a 2% administrative fee. While sometimes expensive. it is better than no coverage at all. Check with your benefits office for more information about continuation coverage under COBRA After your COBRA coverage runs, you may be able to convert your group coverage into an individual (family) plan. Check the booklet issued by the insurance carrier for more information about this benefit. Some states also require companies to offer special plans for small business. For more information about health insurance in Florida, check out A Consumer�s Guide to Getting and Keeping Health Insurance in Florida.