Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

September 13, 2007


Question from Blacksburg, Virginia, USA:

I know a young lady, a grade school counselor and teacher, who has frequent episodes of very low blood sugars requiring the assistance of another person. She passes out if she does not eat some carbohydrate about every three hours while she is awake. A local endocrinologist told her to come to see him "when she develops diabetes." A local group in a nearby city have told her to come back to see them when she develops diabetes. She has to always carry a snack, is very thin, and has been unable to get pregnant. She is very careful about everything she eats and has been trying to control her weight. The patient is willing to travel to find a physician who understands. Is there a physician somewhere who specializes in "pre-diabetes" or hypoglycemia and can help her?


If nothing else, she probably needs another opinion from a physician who is empathetic to her situation. My suggestion is to find someone close to home where she can receive care. There are a number of good endocrinologists on the east coast who could help her.


[Editor’s comment: A search of the Internet provided a list of Local Endocrinologists. The list of over 75 doctors includes those as far as 108 miles away. Your acquaintance should be able to find someone willing to help her.