Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
March 3, 2006

Type 2

Question from North Carolina, USA:

My rheumatologist found my elevated sugar in December. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in January. I was a little overweight, but not grossly. I am trying to control my diabetes with exercise and diet. I did fine the first three to four weeks (115 to 152 mg/dl [6.4 to 8.4 mmol/L]) but now have trouble with low sugar. In the last two weeks, my readings have been from 72 to 125 mg/dl [4 to 6.9 mmol/L]. The higher blood sugar was only twice. I think I am eating right and eating enough, which does include three meals and two or three snacks daily. Is there anything else I should do or be concerned about?

Answer:

You should ask your doctor to do an A1c test to see how your average blood sugar is over the past few months. If it is not less than 6.5%, then you should speak to your doctor about ways to lower it.

JS