Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

June 1, 2005


Question from Israel:

I'm 18 years old and live in Israel. In three months, I'm about to move to Chicago. My problem is that I don't know anyone there who can help me find a doctor. I don't want to come there and start serching, I rather find one in advance. Who should I contact? How I can I know if my new doctor's any good from overseas? I know there's a big university hospital. Do they have a diabetes clinic?


I happen to have done some of my training in Chicago. There are many diabetes specialists in Chicago with five medical schools in the area. I think the best way to handle this would be to confer with your current physician. If they go to international meetings or have connections in the United States, they can give you the name or center where a contact with a diabetes specialist can be made. You can also make a contact through professional oranizations. Two professional organizations that might provide email addresses or regular addresses include the American Diabetes Association or the Endocrine Society. If you are moving to Chicago for college, you might check throuh the student health department about contacts with diabetes clinics. No matter how you make contact, I feel confident you can find high-quality diabetes health care when you arrive in Chicago.

Additional comments from Dr. Alan Schorr:

Your best alternative would be one of two options, you can check the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) web site for endocrinologists registered with their organization. They are listed by city and interest in diabetes. I would also contact the insulin pump company that you are using (Medtronic, Deltec, Animas or Disetronic). Each of the companies have clinical reps in the Chicago area and your local distributor, whether Tel Aviv, Haifa or Jerusalem should be able to help you follow up. If not, you can try the American Diabetes Association American Diabetes Association.

The medical system in the U.S. is different. There are usually physicians in private practice and those in the university system may have their own office. The large diabetes clinics such as Haddassah are not generally seen in the U.S.

If none of that is helpful, please write to the Children with Diabetes web site to contact me and I will help you find a physician in the Chicago area. I have several colleagues that I know quite well.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Talk to your Israeli diabetes team because it is likely that they know of some colleagues in Chicago and can make a specific referral since they know you. There are several medical schools in Chicago and all have large diabetes clinics. You can also call the local Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation chapter, as well as the local American Diabetes Association chapter, and get referrals in this way as well. Dr. Stephen Duck is a friend, colleague and a good person for you to call in Chicago. So is Dr. Mark Molitch.