Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
November 24, 2003

Diagnosis and Symptoms

Question from Toronto, Canada:

I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, so I'd like someone else to validate these symptoms before I bother the doctor with an appointment. I think I may be diabetic, and would like to be checked, if you think it is worthwhile. I'm in my 20s, but slightly overweight, Caucasian; some diabetes in my extended family (aunt, great-aunt and uncle). Lately I've felt very tired, and have to urinate a lot (like, I wake up 2-3 times over the night to use the bathroom). I want to nap sometimes during the day, especially after eating. I've been eating a lot but don't think I've gained weight, my feet tend to go numb easily, my vision has been pretty blurry lately, especially after waking up, and I have eczema on my hands (like, dry, flaky skin). The problem is, I also suffer from depression, so I'm not sure which symptoms are confined to that. Should I still be concerned about possible diabetes? Is there a link or any related concerns between diabetes and depression?

Answer:

You need to have a fasting blood sugar to check for diabetes. You cannot be sure until it is done. I hope it is negative. You just don’t know.