Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

March 8, 2000

Daily Care

Question from New Mexico, USA:

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago with type 1 diabetes. Her sugars are always high. Right now a pediatrician is controlling her diabetes, but he does not want to refer her to an endocrinologist. What could I do about this situation?


You have every right to be concerned with continued high blood sugars. I suggest that you once again ask/demand to be referred to a pediatric endocrinologist by your pediatrician or by your insurance plan. I would also recommend that you find a diabetes educator in your area (call the American Association of Diabetes Educators at 1-800-TEAM UP 4) to help you with the day to day management of your child’s diabetes. It can be an overwhelming task and you need the support of a good diabetes team to help you and your family. Do not give up until you find the diabetes team that can help you and your child.

Another great resource is a book called, Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace available in book stores and Amazon.com.