Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
July 6, 2000

Other Illnesses

Question from Tennessee, USA:

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with granuloma annulare when he was 3 years old. He had a grand mal seizure when he was 4 years old and now has been diagnosed with a learning disability. His teacher says he stares off into space each afternoon and mid morning his writing and speech skills both are inconsistent--sometime almost normal, other times way below normal. He has had blood sugar tests done with a meter by the health department at six month intervals. One reading was 63; the others average between 80 and 95. He also is always hungry and recently has had a sudden weight gain of about 12 pounds in less than a year. Could he be hypoglycemic or diabetic? Type one diabetes runs in our family (mother's side).

Answer:

Granuloma annulare is thought to be an autoimmune condition and is sometimes linked with diabetes. At the same time I think it very unlikely that your son has Type�1A (autoimmune) diabetes. However if you were anxious about this, you could ask his doctor to arrange an antibody test; a number to call about this is 1-800-425-8361. Your son would seem to not be a candidate for the DPT-1 trial but they could tell you where to get the test done. On the figures you give, I doubt also if he has any specific hypoglycemic syndrome and at this stage I would not think that it would be of value to carry out a complex metabolic assessment of all the possibilities.