Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

August 15, 2001

Daily Care

Question from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 21 year old Black brother-in-law, who has diabetes since he was a child and does not take insulin, recently had a physical during which his urine glucose was greater than 2000, and he was advised to see a family physician. The problem is he still insists on maintaining the diabetes on his own. He took his blood glucose level, and it was 30 mg/dl [1.6 mmol/L]. Should he seek immediate medical attention, or are these symptoms just indications of diabetes? His mother has the same condition, but is insulin dependent and has recently had a kidney transplant as the result. Please advise accordingly.


My recommendation is to have his condition further characterized by a physician familiar with diabetes and its management. This is a chronic disease. It is known that the better the blood sugar control, the more protection you have from the long-term and debilitating complications of diabetes. It is not enough to go on how you feel because the blood sugars may be elevated for years in patients with type�2 diabetes without a perception of a problem but, only to have evidence of eye or kidney damage on later follow-up. Please have your brother-in-law see a physician about his situation.