Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

February 6, 2008


Question from Woodstock, Illnois, USA:

My husband and I both work full time and pay day care for our two children. My youngest is three and is on an insulin pump. We have applied for many different types of funding such as disability, Medicare and AllKids that is government sponsored for Illinois. They all say we make too much money. I am having a hard time affording his supplies and medical needs. Do you know of any kind of funding available?


I respect the financial stress that you and your family are experiencing in meeting the costs for childcare and medical expenses for your children. I am not aware of any cash or in-kind pharmacy assistance program for a family that has resources or income that are above the limits for S-Chip (AllKids). However, the question that should have been asked is “what can my spouse and I do to reduce our out-of-pocket expenses by providing better medical coverage or reimbursement for my family?” I humbly suggest that one of the wage earners for your family investigate finding employment that offers a comprehensive health insurance benefit that provides coverage or reimbursement for the insulin pump and its supplies. Illinois is one of but a few states that does not require health insurance contracts to provide coverage for insulin pumps or its supplies. But, many large employers, and the health plans offered to federal employees, do provide a benefit that provides this coverage. The answer to your problems may lie in finding an employer who offers a health insurance program that meets the needs of your family.