Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
June 21, 2002

Other

Question from Cornelius, North Carolina, USA:

My nephew, who is only 20 months old, was just diagnosed with diabetes yesterday, and I was wondering how serious this really is. He's so young, and I've heard that the younger you get it, the worse it usually is. His parents aren't very educated. So I would just like to have some understanding of the disease. I worry that they may be incapable of giving him the care that he will need.

Answer:

There is a wealth of information on this website, and some very good books which you could read that could give you the background information you feel you need to provide support for the family. That is very commendable to be there for them. As far as specifics about his diabetes care, his diabetes team should be able to help the family in terms that they can understand.

LSF

[Editor’s comment: As Lois has pointed out, there is a wealth of information on this site. I would encourage you and his parents to visit our Chat Rooms and learn from others who have children this age.

These days, things are different. We have learned from the DCCT that we can prevent many of the serious complications of diabetes. by keeping it in control. Of course, your nephew’s parents will need a lot of education, which I hope is being provided by a pediatric diabetes center. Children this age should lead long and healthy lives.

SS]