Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

January 24, 2002

School and Daycare

Question from Breese, Illinois, USA:

My teenage son is going to be taking college tests, and I was wondering if there is a form to fill out so that he can have food or drink with him. Most of these tests are over three hours long and he has not had a problem in school before, but all these tests say no food or drink or the test could be ruled invalid, and we've always been prepared before.


I actually had this problem with a medical student patient and the National Board exams. You would think that doctors would be more understanding! So, be proactive, talk to the testing agencies and then go to the university. If they let children with other problems have special help, they will for children with diabetes.

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

Unfortunately you did not specify which “college tests” your child would be taking. The College Board administers the SAT tests. They have instituted a process for applying for special testing accommodations for students with a disability. You can visit the following website for information and instructions: ACT Policy for Documentation to Support Requests for Testing Accommodations on the ACT Assessment and/or Information About Testing Accommodations at the Educational Testing Service Site.