Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

September 11, 2000

Social Issues: Community Resources

Question from Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA:

We are trying to find a doctor who can best serve the needs of our daughter. She was diagnosed at the age of 16 months about one-and-one-half years ago. She has Type 1 diabetes and is seeing an endocrinologist now. We are trying to find doctors who specialize in pediatric diabetes. Are there any specialties or credentials we can look for? Do you know of any sources to find doctors who specialize in babies with diabetes?


I would advise that you should contact your local teaching hospital for local knowledge of appropriate support.

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

I would contact your nearest American Diabetes Association affiliate or chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. They usually know who specializes in the care of children. You can also contact the American Pediatric Society and request a list of Board Certified Pediatric Endocrinologists in your area.


[Editor’s comment: There’s nothing wrong with approaching your current endocrinologist and discussing this request with him or her: caring for little kids with diabetes is a handful, and adult endocrinologists are ill-equipped to deal with these problems without occasionally consulting with super-specialists themselves in fields such as pediatric endocrinology (which typically are located at medical schools or in major metropolitan areas. Also, see Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some other hints that might help.