Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

October 12, 2006


Question from Ada, Oklahoma, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes, a full-time student, only part-time student worker, 19 years old, and independent. Soonercare eligibility ended for me in September since I turned 19. I am not married, pregnant or do not already have children, so I cannot re-apply. What can I do about healthcare and medicine as a poor college student with diabetes?


One idea is to see if the university offers a health plan for its students, although many of these have low coverage limits/caps and deductibles. It might at least cover hospitalizations. Another is to find an employer who offers participation in their group health plan for part-time workers. If you have a parent whose employer offers coverage through an employee benefit program, I strongly recommend that you consider coverage through that plan. Many group plans now cover adult children throughout their academic career. Mere participation under this coverage should not affect your status as an independent adult for financial aid or student eligibility. If this is an option, don’t dawdle as adding coverage for eligible family members can only take place during the open enrollment period which, for many plans, is in November for an effective date of January 1st.