Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
May 29, 2000

Diagnosis and Symptoms

Question from Kirksville, Missouri, USA:

I am a Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed before the birth of my last child, about two and a half years ago. My grandmother and all of her sisters had Type 1 diabetes. My baby, now 2, has had some slightly elevated blood sugar readings. Her fasting reading was 126 and another random reading during the day after snacking was 140. Should I be concerned? My other three children have always tested in the normal range. Does this child have a greater chance for developing diabetes?

Answer:

You have asked a good question. Your family history indicates that there is a genetic predisposition to type 1 diabetes, and of course, your children are part of that genetic environment. But remember, they also have their dad’s genes too. If you would like to have your kids tested for their risk of type 1 diabetes, there are studies across the country doing this (such as the DPT-1 study).

I can certainly understand your concern for your kids and baby. I would discuss this with your diabetes doctor and pediatrician as soon as possible so that your worry goes no further.

KS