Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
January 22, 2001

Gestational Diabetes

Question from Tracy, California, USA:

I am seven months pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 29 weeks. I have had asthma for 10 years and I was put on an inhaled steroid about a year ago, and my doctor switched me to a different inhaled medication as it's considered more safe in pregnancy. I did not have gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy when I was not taking steroids. Can inhaled steroids somehow be related to gestational diabetes? Is it reasonable to consult with my asthma doctor in order to try cutting steroid intake?

Answer:

Steroids can cause insulin resistance. However, this is usually associated with higher doses and systemic levels such as seen with oral prednisone. In theory, inhaled steroids do not result in a high blood concentration. Therefore, this should not contribute significantly to the gestational diabetes. A consultation with your asthma doctor is reasonable, because it would be good to have you on as few medications as possible.