Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

CWD Answers Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

January 14, 2002

Meal Planning, Food and Diet

Question from Nampa, Idaho, USA:

My 79 year old father-in-law, who had a heart attack, was told he had diabetes and needed to go on an 1800 diabetic diet and lose weight or die. Can you help me find such a diet?


From: DTeam Staff

I would recommend that you locate a dietitian who works with people with diabetes. The 1800 calorie diet prescription is probably appropriate, but the dietitian can individualize the meal plan according to your father-in-law’s usual mealtimes and food preferences. If you have problems finding a dietitian, ask for a referral from your father-in-law’s physician.