Lg Cwd
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

March 21, 2019

Mental Health

Question from Saltsburg, Pennsylvania :

I need help or I’m going to lose my 18-year-old granddaughter. She has been in DKA at least 10 times, life-flighted 4 or 5 times, near death. I have to find a facility for her to go to. She is very depressed, has been in mental health [sic]. Last night I had to call ambulance. She just doesn’t get it. Please help me.


From: Sean Oser, MD, MPH

There is a state supported program, but it is not diabetes specific. It is a straightforward website that guides one to the proper regional contact information. See:


Contact is based on region. Saltsburg is really JUST outside Pittsburgh, so it looks like the region is CCP at 844-972-8477. Also, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic (WPIC) is the academic facility associated with the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and is excellent. UPMC also has excellent endocrinology resources.