Lg Cwd
icon-nav-help
Need Help

Submit your question to our team of health care professionals.

icon-nav-current-questions
Current Question

See what's on the mind of the community right now.

icon-conf-speakers-at-a-glance
Meet the Team

Learn more about our world-renowned team.

icon-nav-archives
DTeam Archives

Review the entire archive according to the date it was posted.

icon-question-mark
July 1, 2000

Insulin

Question from Melbourne, Australia:

My cousin has diabetes are we were wondering how the regulation of glucose homeostasis is affected by injecting insulin into the blood.

Answer:

In diabetes, insulin is seldom injected into the blood stream unless the person is in diabetic ketoacidosis. In routine use however, it does have to be given by injection beneath the skin. From there, it is absorbed into the blood stream at a rate that depends on the kind of insulin. It is then distributed to all the cells in the body. On the surface of these cells there are special sites called insulin receptors which attach to the insulin. This activates the site and enables it to increase the entry of glucose into the cell to be used in energy production. In this way injected insulin lowers blood sugar and moves glucose into the cell. This description is a considerable oversimplification of a very complex procedure; but I hope it will help.